Don’t forget about your garden or lawn this autumn. With more than 20 years’ experience in lawn care, Smart Lawns is advising you how you can get the best out of your garden this autumn and winter.
The lawn experts offer a variety of landscape styles and edging which can transform your front or back garden. In a bid to find out what we should be doing now, before spring arrives in 2019, we speak to Bill Runciman, owner of Smart Lawns, to pass on his tips.
Bill (pictured below) explained: “Many people fall into the trap of forgetting to maintain the quality of their lawn when the darker nights come in. In actual fact, there is still plenty that can be done over these months to get the hard work done in time for spring.”
Here are Bill’s top 10 tips for being ‘smart’ this autumn and getting the best out of your garden at this time of year:
- Tidy all your leaves and any other vegetation so you do slip on paths.
- Take away dead or dying annuals as they only last the warmer weather.
- Trim the shrubs that need taken back (there are certain plants that are better left to nearer spring).
- To give roses a new growth a chance to grow, take all the dead parts away.
- Trees need a general trim to stop them getting over grown and weak.
- Ensure that an autumn fertiliser is used on the lawn to help it get through the winter, if a lawn is not fed properly moss and weeds grow.
- Aerate your lawn by spiking it to let the water drain freely away during the winter it also helps root structure and prevents moss taking over the damp soil beneath.
- Rake your lawn so get rid of the leaves and help keep moss at bay.
- If moss on your lawn is getting out of control you can scarify it with our new type American-designed machine which does not scalp your lawn if it is not level. By carrying out this service during the autumn, your lawn will avoid being severely damaged over the winter months.
- A green lawn is a happy lawn if looked after properly it should come out of the winter fired up ready to give you enjoyment when 2019 comes along.
All these jobs can be done without major expense, if you would like a quote for any of the work, call Smart Lawns on 07769 593 848 or click here to email Bill and the team. Based in the heart of Aberdeenshire, Smart Lawn has the expertise and experience to help you solve your garden problems this winter.
As well as maintaining and caring for natural lawns, Smart Lawns has recently carried a number of artificial turf conversions which have a 10-year guarantee against fading and long-lasting capability.
Artificial grass is becoming increasingly popular and can give you a bespoke, personal service at a price to suit your budget – with many types of artificial lawn samples available to view before ordering.
Here are ‘during’ and ‘after’ pictures of an artificial grass installation:
- Other examples of their recent work can be viewed online by clicking here and you can also hear Bill talking about his lawn on Facebook Live by clicking here.