Aberdeen play down reports linking two players with move away from the Dons

Post Thumbnail

Aberdeen are confident the bulk of their first team squad will still be intact when the January transfer window closes.

Defenders Shay Logan and Andrew Considine have become the latest in a growing list of Dons players to be linked with moves away from Pittodrie this month.

Reports in England claimed the Dons were willing to accept a £200,000 offer from Ipswich Town for Logan, despite the fact the 28-year-old signed a new contract last summer that ties him to Aberdeen until 2018.

It was also reported that Rangers were considering making an offer for Considine in the hope of persuading the Dons to let him leave before his contract runs out in the summer.

Those came on the back of previous reports linking striker Niall McGinn with a move to Hearts and claims Cardiff were poised to make a £500,000 offer for winger Jonny Hayes.

It was suggested Ipswich manager Mick McCarthy was preparing to make the cut-price offer for Logan and also sign Wigan’s Northern Ireland international striker Will Grigg.

Rangers boss Mark Warburton was also reported to have placed Considine high on the list of players he hopes to sign this month.

The 29-year-old’s contract with the Dons is due to expire in the summer and it’s believed Considine is holding off on signing a new one until he sees what else is on offer.

Dons boss Derek McInnes was unavailable to comment.

But club sources claimed the stories suggesting Logan and Considine could be on the move this month are way off the mark.

It was also claimed Hearts had offered McGinn a three-year deal in return for signing a pre-contract agreement with them.

Later reports then said McGinn had turned that down and was waiting to see if he gets better offers from clubs in England.

The Dons are planning to have talks with McGinn about extending his contract once he returns from a long overdue rest from playing football.

Northern Ireland international McGinn had been given some time off to enjoy a short holiday in the USA during the Premiership’s winter break.

Cardiff were also said to be keen on signing Hayes, who still has 18 months left on his contract with the Dons, and ready to make them a £500,000 offer for the Irishman. Our source claimed the

Dons have not received any offers for any of their players.

McInnes had earlier admitted he was also looking to add to his squad while the latest window is open.

He created space for that by allowing midfielder Craig Storie to join Championship side St Mirren on loan.

The 20-year-old is expected to make his debut for the Buddies when they travel to Dunfermline on Saturday.

McInnes said: “One or two things will happen.

“Storie is out on loan and one or two others will go out to try find more regular football.

“That will then give us a chance to maybe bring one or two in as well.

“If there is anyone who can come in and help us and help our cause during the second half of the season, then we will try to bring them in.

“By and large I am happy with the squad.

“But we have to give ourselves a chance to be successful during the second half of the season.”

The Dons are set to jet out to Dubai tomorrow for a week-long warm weather camp.

They will train for four days before taking on Uzbekistan side FC Bunyodkor in a friendly on Sunday.

 

Breaking