Evening Express

Aberdeen concede late goal to draw 1-1 at Hibs

Aberdeen's Tommie Hoban, centre, celebrates the opener.

Aberdeen blew a lead with just four minutes remaining as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Hibs at Easter Road.

The Reds were heading towards a vital three points in Edinburgh courtesy of a first half goal from on loan Watford defender Tommie Hoban.

However Hibs grabbed the equalizer their play deserved through a strike from substitute Jamie MacLaren in the 86th minute.

Another player on loan at Pittodrie from the English top flight, Manchester United’s James Wilson, came off the bench in the second half to make his Dons debut.


Wilson joined from the Old Trafford club on a season long loan but the 22-year-old was ruled out of a debut in the 4-0 BetFred defeat of St Mirren last weekend with an ankle injury.

Aberdeen made one change to the side that destroyed St Mirren 4-0 in the BetFred Cup with the injured Scott Wright dropping out.

Goal hero Hoban returned from injury that had ruled him out of the last three games.

Right back Shaleum Logan also returned from a three match suspension but was named on the bench.

The 22-year-old has signed on a one-year loan deal from the Premier League giants.

Hibs created the opening opportunity in the sixth minute when Joe Lewis  blocked a shot from the left by Paul Hanlon.

The loose ball fell to Martin Boyle who appeared to be bundled over by Andy Considine in the box. A strong penalty claim was waved away by referee Andrew Dallas.

Moments later Daryl Horgan sammed a shot into the side netting.

On the quarter hour mark keeper Lewis produced a superb save when Horgan raced onto a through ball from Lewis Stevenson and unleashed a vicious shot.

Lewis instinctively pushed stuck a hand up to push it wide for a corner.

Hibs were dominating the early phase and Martin Boyle broke down the right before shooting wide.

Aberdeen threatened in the 30th minute when Gary Mackay-Steven delivered a cross from the left deep to the back post. It found Stevie May but his looping header was collected by keeper Adam Bogdan.

Soon after Bogdan was again called into action when he tipped a powerful drive from the edge of the box by teenager Lewis Ferguson over the bar.

Dons keeper Lewis again frustrated the Easter Road side in the 37th minute when Boyle broke through the defence on the left and raced in on goal.

Lewis did well to block Boyle’s drive at his near post and push wide.

Aberdeen grabbed the lead just before half-time when a corner from Mackay-Steven was headed back across goal by May. It wasn’t cleared and HOBAN hit a shot that Bodgan got a hand to.

With the ball on the line the on loan Watford defender followed up his initial shot to force it over the line.

In the 50th minute Steven Whittaker was allowed the time to shoot but fired a 22 yard effort well over.

Moments later Ferguson curled in a 25 yard free kick but the effort was blocked by Bogdan.

On the hour May curled in a 30 yard free-kick to the back post but it lacked the power to trouble Bogdan who easily collected.

Manchester United striker Wilson came on for Frank Ross in the 71st minute.

Hibs pushed for an equalizer with a Shaw shot blocked and sent behind for a corner.

In the 79th minute Efe Ambrose sent a glancing header just wide.

It came in the 86th minute when Jamie McLAREN fired in from close range after the Dons rear-guard failed to clear a low cross flashed across goal.

Aberdeen: Lewis, Shinnie, Considine, Gleeson, Mackay-Steven, May, Devlin, Ferguson, Ball, Ross, Hoban.

Subs: Logan (for Gleeson 59), Wilson (for Ross 71),

Subs not used: Cerny, Forrester, Wilson, McGinn, Cosgrove, Anderson.

Hibs: Bogdan, Gray, Whittaker, Hanlon, Horgan, Boyle, Mallan, Stevenson, Ambrose, Shaw, Porteous.

Subs: Maclaren (for Stevenson 75), Hyndman (for Gray 83)

Subs not used: Laidlaw, Slivka,  Swanson, Agyepong,  Mackie.

Referee: Andrew Dallas