Evening Express

Reports – Aberdeen knock back £3.5 million bid from Celtic for defender McKenna

Aberdeen's Scott McKenna

Aberdeen have rejected an initial offer from rivals Celtic for centre-back Scott McKenna, according to reports.

It has been reported Dons chiefs took a hardline stance to a £3.5 million offer from the Premiership champions and made it clear the Kirriemuir native is not for sale.

Early today it was claimed the Hoops had moved for the 21-year-old, but this was premature.

However, it appears the Glasgow club, managed by Brendan Rodgers, have now made their move.

It is understood the last thing Aberdeen want is to let one of their best talents, who rose from the youth ranks to captain Scotland against Mexico in June, leave during this transfer window to one of their biggest rivals.

The Dons have finished second in the Premiership behind Celtic for four consecutive seasons.

Aberdeen said no to more than £1 million from English club Hull City in January and are also thought to have rejected a bumper offer from Swansea City before their window shut on August 9.

McKenna is currently out with a hamstring tear sustained during the 1-1 draw with Rangers at Pittodrie on the opening day of the league campaign.

He is contracted to Pittodrie until 2023, and boss Derek McInnes has previously said when he leaves Aberdeen it will likely be for the English top flight and he believes he is the best centre-back in the country.