Aberdeen boss McInnes: ‘We can go back to Manchester City for other loan stars in future’

Derek McInnes.

Dons boss Derek McInnes today confirmed he could raid Manchester City again for future loan deals.

Nigerian midfielder Chidi Nwakali was secured until the end of the season from the English Premier League leaders.

McInnes, pictured, revealed the Etihad Stadium outfit view the Dons as a positive destination for loan stars.

And McInnes could turn to Pep Guardiola’s table-toppers again.

He said: “Manchester City have always contacted us as they see us as a good place for some of their younger players.

“While we have had plenty of discussions about several players with them it has not been quite right.

“Manchester City are keen for their players to come and play rather than sit on benches.

“It was good that we managed to get Chidiebere and hopefully this can be a successful one. I think Manchester City are a team we can go to in the future for loan deals.”

Nwakali made his long-awaited debut as a substitute late on in the 3-1 defeat of Kilmarnock.

The Nigerian is in the squad for tonight’s clash at bottom side Ross County.

The 21-year-old was cleared to make his debut having jetted out to Nigeria to get his visa before international clearance was confirmed.

His debut had been delayed as the Reds awaited a work permit.

Nwakali landed back in Aberdeen at 10am on the day of the game.

McInnes said: “Chidiebere got the pace of the game against Killie quickly and got in about people. It was important for him to get on the pitch.

“He had flown back through the night from Nigeria as he was over getting his visa.

“He landed at 10 o’clock in the morning and was eager to play his part.”

Nwakali is one of three signings in the January transfer window that will shut at midnight tonight, just hours after full-time in Dingwall.

McInnes hopes to expand that to four signings by landing a keeper on a loan deal until the end of he season before kick-off tonight. It is understood Newcastle United’s U20 World Cup winner Freddie Woodman, 20, is on McInnes’ radar.

First choice keeper Joe Lewis today underwent surgery on ligament damage to his left knee sustained in the 2-0 loss to Rangers and will be ruled out for between two to three months.

Asked if he aimed to sign a keeper before kick-off, McInnes said: “Ideally, if we can.

“Whether we can or not, Danny Rogers will play tonight.

“It is on-going to try to get a goalkeeper in.

“There have been a lot of names thrown at us and we have tried to narrow it down to two or three. We are focusing on trying to get something over the line.

“Joe saw a specialist on Monday night and will get his operation today.

“He will be out somewhere in the region of between two to three months.”

In the transfer window the Dons have rejected three bids from Hull City for defender Scott McKenna. There have been no fresh bids and McInnes wants it to remain that way until midnight. He informed Hull no bids are welcome as McKenna is not for sale in January.

However, McInnes refused to completely rule out another outfield addition.

He said: “In terms of numbers and quality I am happy with the squad. The work is on-going. No one is sitting about and the recruitment staff are busy.

“We are constantly speaking to agents and clubs about what might be available. We will see.

“But we do not have the money to go and do what we want.”

Striker Stevie May is ruled out of tonight’s game with an ankle injury but Ryan Christie returns after missing the win over Kilmarnock with a knee knock.

Breaking

    Cancel