Evening Express

McInnes surprised Rangers’ Morelos got off with red card at Pittodrie

Derek McInnes.

Dons boss Derek McInnes today admitted he is surprised the red card to Rangers’ Alfredo Morelos was rescinded.

Striker Morelos was dismissed early in the 1-1 draw with Aberdeen at Pittodrie for kicking out at defender Scott McKenna.

Rangers appealed the red card and subsequent two- game ban and it was downgraded to a yellow.

After the match, rookie Rangers boss Steven Gerrard had questioned Scottish officials and claimed “it feels like the world is against us”.

McInnes is surprised at the decision to rescind Morelos’ red card when Dons defender Shay Logan was sent off following a melee at full-time in the 1-0 win at Celtic in the final game of last season.

Aberdeen appealed the red card and two-game ban but it was upheld.

The Dons are still feeling the repercussions as Logan is suspended for tomorrow’s game at Dundee.

Logan is one of four defenders ruled out in a Reds’ rearguard crisis.

McInnes said: “I was a bit surprised at the red card being reduced when you compare it to Shay’s red at the end of last season.

“It is what it is though.”

McInnes still feels aggrieved at the red card and subsequent suspension handed down to Logan in the aftermath of the victory at Parkhead.

It has only exacerbated a defensive crisis that increased with the hamstring injury sustained by Scotland international centre-back McKenna against Rangers.

Following scans this week, it was confirmed the 21-year-old will be out for six weeks.

On-loan Watford defender Tommie Hoban is ruled out for three weeks with a knee injury.

Centre-back Mark Reynolds is out for the rest of the year having undergone knee surgery.

McInnes hopes to sign defensive cover in time for the Dundee game.

But the frustration at being without Logan lingers.

McInnes said: “We have been on the receiving end of being disappointed – Shay Logan is a case in point.

“I don’t see a red card offence which Shay committed at Parkhead yet the panel look at that and still uphold a two-game ban.

I directly asked the referee having watched all the footage back, what was his actual red card offence.

“I never got any real clarity or clear evidence that he had committed a red card offence.

“Sometimes it goes for you, sometimes it doesn’t.

“We feel aggrieved and it is not isolated to one particular club – grievances and decisions going against you and decisions going for you.

“It happens to us all.”

Pittodrie gaffer McInnes admitted his players were fatigued both physically and mentally following the 3-1 extra-time loss to Burnley in the Europa League.

That two hours of Euro action came less than 72 hours before the Premiership opener against Rangers on Sunday.

Teenage striker Bruce Anderson came off the bench to grab an equaliser three minutes into injury time on his Dons debut.

McInnes insists he went on the attack against 10 man Rangers to try to get a result.

He said: “We tried to be as positive as we could be in those later stages against Rangers.

“We had Niall McGinn and Gary Mackay-Steven at full-back with a front two of Bruce Anderson and Stevie May.

“We had three supporting midfielders centrally of Graeme Shinnie, Lewis Ferguson and Chris Forrester.

“We threw a lot of bodies at it but Bruce was the one that came up with the goods. I am delighted for him that he was able to make that impact.”

Aberdeen will look to get the first win of the new campaign at Dens Park tomorrow.

McInnes said: “Neil McCann has brought a few new signings in and I have had to familiarise myself with them this week and get a handle on them.

“Having watched their game against St Mirren last week (2-1 loss) they were unlucky not to get something.

“Dundee had spells in the game where they played very well.

“We will be ready for it and, hopefully, we are competitive as ever and good enough to get the job done.”