Evening Express

Aberdeen boss McInnes says AberDNA helped get Wilson and offers signings update

Derek McInnes

Dons boss Derek McInnes has thanked the Red Army for their part in signing Manchester United striker James Wilson.

McInnes confirmed cash from the AberDNA fans’ funding scheme helped land the centre-forward.

The former England Under-21 international recently joined the Dons on a season-long loan deal.

McInnes reckons the AberDNA scheme can help the Reds secure more players of Wilson’s calibre in the future.

Wilson has played 20 times for the English Premier League giants and scored twice on his United debut in 2014.

The 22-year-old is to make his debut in the Premiership clash at Hibs.

Wilson was ruled out of the 4-0 Betfred Cup win over St Mirren with an ankle knock.

McInnes said: “AberDNA played a huge part in getting James Wilson.

“Any additional revenue the club can bring in is so important for me, as it has such an impact on what I am trying to do. The DNA membership has gone well. It’s been brilliant.

“We would love to extend that even more, as it gives me more scope to do things and get more good players in.

“Without it everything becomes more difficult. Hopefully we can keep growing that membership.

“The bigger the membership, the more flexibility and options I have. It does help us to be more competitive in the transfer market.

“Any additional revenue, which clearly the AberDNA system has helped bring to the club, is vitally important to us.

“It certainly helps my case when I’m speaking to the board about bringing potential players and certainly players of James’ calibre.

“I am grateful to the chairman and the board for getting Wilson over the line.”

Dons chairman Stewart Milne recently confirmed the AberDNA had already raised £600,000 for the first team.

More than 6,000 Aberdeen supporters have signed up and all profits will go directly towards strengthening McInnes’ footballing pool.

Boss could still bring in one more player

McInnes today confirmed he could yet bring in one more signing before the transfer window closes on Friday.

McInnes has secured seven signings during the summer but could yet strengthen his squad further.

One player who will not be moving to Pittodrie is former West Brom defender Gareth McAuley.

The Northern Ireland international centre-back had been linked with a potential move to Pittodrie.

However, McInnes has ruled out a move for the 38-year-old free agent.

McInnes has introduced four permanent signings (Stephen Gleeson, Chris Forrester, Lewis Ferguson and Tomas Cerny) and three loan deals (James Wilson – Manchester United, Dom Ball – Rotherham and Tommie Hoban – Watford).

If he does not sign another player before the window slams shut, the Dons gaffer is confident he has built a strong squad.

He said: “We will continue to look and there is one area I would maybe be keen to add more competition.

“Maybe we can get one more if we can squeeze that in. We will see what we can do.

“I’m confident we have a squad capable of taking us through to January and compete in the games ahead.

“When you see the performance against St Mirren (4-0 win in the BetFred Cup) you would think there is not that much to be done.

“However, you don’t always get that performance and the luxury of a full squad.”

A key piece of business by Aberdeen during the summer window would be retaining Scotland international Scott McKenna.

The Dons rejected an offer of £3.5 million from Celtic for the defender who is contracted until 2023.

Championship Swansea had also enquired about McKenna before the transfer window in England closed.

McInnes said: “Keeping the squad and not losing anyone is important.”

Although the English window closed on August 9, Scottish clubs can still take in players on a loan or permanent deal from south of the border.

Aberdeen are set to welcome back two of their loan stars from the English top flight for today’s Premiership clash at Hibs.

Watford defender Hoban, 24, has returned from a knee injury that has ruled him out of the first three league games.

Hoban, who signed a season-long loan deal, started both Europa League ties against Premier League Burnley.

Manchester United striker Wilson, 22, is in contention to make his debut having recovered from an ankle knock.

Right-back Shaleum Logan also returns from a three-game suspension to make his first domestic appearance of the season.

McInnes said: “Logan, Hoban and Wilson are all back. I have been pleased with the performances and results in dealing with the injuries and suspension.”

Winger Niall McGinn is set to be ruled out with a calf injury sustained in the warm-up against St Mirren.