Boss Derek McInnes today confirmed Graeme Shinnie and Gary Mackay-Steven have indicated they are keen to stay at Aberdeen.
It is a double boost for the Reds ahead of tomorrow’s Premiership clash with Motherwell at Pittodrie.
Skipper Shinnie and winger Mackay-Steven are both out of contract at the end of the season.
With their deals set to expire any interested clubs would be free to talk to either player from the start of the winter transfer window on January 1.
McInnes is hopeful both can pen contract extensions in the near future.
Aberdeen have already tabled a new contract to Scotland international Shinnie, 27, that would make him one of the club’s top earners.
Contract talks were put on ice due to Shinnie’s recent involvement with the Scotland squad but have now resumed.
Mackay-Steven has indicated he is happy to listen to any Reds’ offer.
McInnes said: “Shinnie has indicated he would be keen to stay and Gary has indicated he would be happy to listen to our offers to stay.
“We are trying to get round to dealing with both situations.”
Shinnie made his international breakthrough in earning two caps for Scotland in the summer friendlies against Peru and Mexico, pictured above.
He came off the bench in the 4-0 friendly loss to Belgium earlier this month.
Winger Mackay-Steven was a £150,000 signing from Celtic in summer 2017.
The 28-year-old is Aberdeen’s top scorer this season with four goals.
McInnes said: “Both recognise what we have done for them and elevated them.
“Certainly Gary in recent months has been very good and sees the benefit of playing here regularly for us and working with ourselves.
“Shinnie has come on and become an international while playing for Aberdeen.
“He has become captain at such a big club and is loved and respected by everyone from the youngest supporter to the chairman.
“He is in a strong position because he knows exactly how we feel about him.
“Hopefully we can get round to agreeing both lads in the not too distant future.”
On-loan Manchester United striker James Wilson is in contention to start his first game for the Dons tomorrow.
The former England U21 international has recovered from a hamstring injury that restricted him to just one substitute appearance.
McInnes will make a call tomorrow on whether to start the 22-year-old against Motherwell or use him as a substitute.
Defender Mikey Devlin will return from suspension. However, the Dons will still have six players out injured.
McInnes said: “Wilson will come back and Devlin is available.
“Young Lewis Ferguson has seen a specialist and as expected there is nothing too sinister going on.
“It is just a case of trying to settle the knee down after getting a bang on it.
“Unfortunately it is not going to heal in time for Saturday but hopefully he will be back before too long.
“We hoped Frank Ross (back) would be back training on Thursday but he is still feeling it a little from the work he has put in with the physios this week.
“So we will need to stand him down for Saturday.
“Scott Wright (ankle) is working away fine and as scheduled probably won’t be back until after the next international break.
“There are also the three longer term ones of Mark Reynolds (knee), Greg Tansey (groin) and Tommie Hoban (shoulder).
“For the ones who could have made it this week – Frank, Lewis and James, at least we have James back.
“The other two will probably have to wait another week or so.”