Aberdeen face Scottish Cup quarter-final replay after drawing with Kilmarnock

Returning skipper Graeme Shinnie netted the opening goal for Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup quarter-final.

The Dons face a Scottish Cup quarter-final replay after being held 1-1 by Kilmarnock at Pittodrie.

The sides will go again at Rugby Park on Tuesday 13 March (7.45pm).

The last eight fixture beat the Beast from the East winter snap that had gripped the country but the Reds could not overcome an in form Killie side.



Skipper Graeme Shinnie put the Reds 1-0 up early on before Kris Boyd levelled from the spot in the second half.

Pittodrie was strangely eerie for the tie  with the South Stand closed to home fans due to water supplies being affected by the bad weather.

The utmost respect to the Red Army and the 1,368 strong travelling Kilmarnock support  who braved the treacherous conditions to make the game with the attendance 8,739.


Aberdeen made three changes to the side that suffered a second successive defeat in losing 2-0 to Celtic.

Influential skipper Shinnie returned from suspension and on loan Hoops attacker Ryan Christie was also back.

Christie had missed the clash with the league leaders as he was ineligible to face his parent club due to the terms of his loan agreement.

Striker Adam Rooney moved back into the starting line-up with Chidi Nwakali and Gary Mackay-Steven dropping to the bench.

Defender Andy Considine was suspended.

Influential skipper SHINNIE put Aberdeen ahead in the ninth minute when he fired a low shot along the face of goal from the left that crept into the far corner.

Killie keeper Jamie MacDonald should have cut out the effort.

Next Kenny McLean unleashed a low 25 yard drive in the 18th minute but keeper MacDonald saved.

Moments later an inswinging corner from Niall McGinn forced MacDonald to punch clear on his line.

Icelandic international Kari Arnason raced onto a McGinn corner at the edge of the D but blasted over in the 28th minute.

Aberdeen broke upfield on the counter-attack with Christie playing a superb low cross along goal and the on-rushing Rooney was inches close to connecting with the goal beckoning.

Dons keeper Freddie Woodman produced a vital save at the back post when Rory McKenzie flighted in a corner. Defender Kirk Broadfoot met the delivery and angled in a header that the on loan Newcastle United keeper pushed over.

From the resultant corner the ball fell to Kris Boyd 12 yards out and he hoofed a wild shot into row Z of the Richard Donald stand upper tier where the displaced South Stand regulars were sitting.

In the 49th minute Kris Boyd raced in at the near post to meet a McKenzie corner and his glancing header was straight at Woodman.


Aberdeen were denied in the 55th minute when Arnason met a  curling McGinn free-kick and fired in a powerful header.

Keeper MacDonald produced a superb diving save to push the effort wide.

Moments later Jordan Jones fired a rising long range effort high. Kilmarnock were beginning to create more opportunities.

Kilmarnock punished shambolic defending in the 67th minute to level.

There was misunderstanding between Arnason and Logan that allowed Jones to get in between the two.

One of them had to take the initiative to clear but instead they hesitated and  allowed Jones to nip in between them. Logan brought him down for a clear penalty.

Kris BOYD stepped up and rifled an unstoppable spot kick with power and accuracy.

The striker then goaded the Dons fans with  his celebration.

In the 77th minute a low shot from Logan took a deflection and MacDonald had to scramble across his line to push wide.

In the 83rd minute Rooney met a Logan lay-off but shot wide.

Moments later Rooney again had another chance at the back post when meeting a Shinnie cross but keeper MacDonald saved his header.

It was a nervous finale as both sides pushed for the winner but they will go again at Rugby Park in  10 days time.

ABERDEEN: Woodman, Logan, Shinnie, Arnason, McKenna, O’Connor, McLean, Christie, McGinn, May, Rooney.

Subs: Mackay-Steven (for May 78), Nwakali (for Christie 86),

Subs not used: Rogers, Reynolds, Harvie,Stewart, Maynard.

KILMARNOCK: MacDonald, O’Donnell, Broadfoot, Power, McKenzie, Dicker,  K. Boyd, Jones, Taylor, Findlay, Brophy.

Subs: Erwin (for Brophy 56), Burke (for McKenzie 64), Kiltie (for K. Boyd 82).

Subs not used: Fasen, S. Boyd,  Simpson, Tshibola.

Referee: Steven McLean