Evening Express

Aberdeen exit Europe after extra-time heartache in Burnley

Aberdeen's Lewis Ferguson scored a sensational goal against Burnley.

Aberdeen suffered Europa League heart-ache as they lost out out in extra-time to Premier League Burnley at Turf Moor.

The Reds lost 3-1 on the night, 4-2 on aggregate to miss out on a third qualifying round clash with Turkish side Istanbul Basaksehir.

The teams were all square after 90 minutes but goals in extra time from Jack Cork and Ashley Barnes sent the Premier League side through.

It was harsh on Aberdeen who produced a superb, disciplined performance and can leave Turf Moor with their heads held high.

The sides had been tied 1-1 after drawing in the first leg at Pittodrie in the second qualifying round.

Burnley had grabbed an early lead through Chris Wood before teenager Lewis Ferguson made it all square with a magnificent over-head kick.

Aberdeen were cheered on by a 2,400 strong travelling Red Army who had been in fine voice long before kick-off and retained that levels throughout the game.

The Clarets grabbed the lead in the sixth minute when Graeme Shinnie was dispossessed by Ashley Westwood near the half-way line.

Westwood delivered a defence splitting ball dropped in between  centre-backs Scott McKenna and Mikey Devlin towards Chris WOOD.

The club’s record signing, for £15m last summer, took a touch when Joe Lewis dived at his feet to try and block. He then pushed the ball wide of Lewis and rifled into the goal from 12 yards.

It was an early hammer blow for the Reds.

Burnley were forced to field Lindegaard in goals due to a goalkeeping crisis.

Nick Pope dislocated his shoulder in the first leg at Pittodrie and Tom Heaton was struggling with a calf injury.

It was Lindegaard’s first start in nearly two years but the Dons failed to test him early on.

That would change.

Mid way through the half a cross from the left from Considine was cleared as far as Gary Mackay-Steven but his 15 yard shot was deflected wide for a corner – which came to nothing.

Aberdeen levelled, and grabbed that vital away goal, in the 27th with a sublime goal from teenager Lewis FERGUSON.

Mackay-Steven whipped in a cross from the left that was headed by Ward across goal.

The 18-year-old produced a sensational over-head kick from 14 yards out to rifle a right footed volley beyond Lindegaard.

You will be hard topped to see a better goal from any team in Europe this week.

If Burnley had any doubts previously, they now knew they were in a real game.

Soon after Andy Considine met a cross at the edge of the box and sent a header wide. #

As Aberdeen got more into the game the Red Army chanted ‘Premier League – you’re having a laugh’.

In the 45th minute Shinnie curled a low effort from 22 yards that was goal bound until Lindegaard somehow got a finger to the ball to tip it wide.

Burnley fans booed their team off the pitch at half-time.

Within two minutes of the restart Joe Lewis produced a vital block at the near post to push a low 20 yard volley from Berg Gudmundsson wide.
It was a fantastic, and vital, block.

Aberdeen had a great chance to grab the lead mid way through the second half when McGinn found Shinnie with a cut back but he fired over from 22 yards.

Keeper Lewis produced another fantastic save when he dived low to block an Ashley Barnes drive that he pushed across the face of his goal and wide with one hand.

In the 73rd minute Ferguson found Shinnie with a pass and the skipper’s powerful drive was pushed wide at the near post by Lindegaard.

Burnley were denied by the cross-bar when Sam Vokes met a Matt Lowton cross.

Somehow Lewis got a finger-tip to push it onto the woodwork.

Yet again another exceptional save.

The Clarets grabbed the lead in the 101st  minute when substitute Charlie Taylor crossed from the left and Jack CORK got in ahead of Devlin to header home from 10 yards.

Cork ran along the front of the stand containing the Dons fans cupping his ears. His reaction underlined the relief felt by the Premier League side to go ahead.

Salt was rubbed in the wounds in the second half of injury time when a penalty was awarded for a hand ball from McKenna in the 114th minute.

It was harsh as it was ball to arm.

BARNES converted the spot-kick.

ABERDEEN: Lewis, Logan, McKenna, Devlin, Hoban, Shinnie, Considine, Ferguson, Mackay-Steven, Cosgrove, McGinn

Subs:Wright (for Mackay-Steven 81), Ball (for Hoban 88), May for (Cosgrove 98), Forrester (for Ferguson 106).

Subs not used: Cerny, Forrester, Gleeson, Campbell.


BURNLEY: Lindegaard, Lowton, Tarkowski, Mee, Ward, Lennon, Cork, Westwood, Berg Gudmundsson, Vokes, Wood.

Subs: Barnes (for Wood 46),  McNeil (for Lennon 86), Taylor (for Ward 91), Hendrick (for Westwood 106).

Subs not used: Legzdins, Hendrick, Bardsley, Long.


Referee: Massimiliano Irrati (Italy).