Aberdeen beat Hamilton to take advantage of slip ups from Rangers and Celtic

Aberdeen FC's Freddie Woodman. Pic by Chris Sumner Taken 2/2/18

ABERDEEN overcame Hamilton 3-0 at Pittodrie to take full advantage of both Celtic and Rangers losing.

In a good day for the Reds Derek McInnes’ side reduced the gap on leaders Celtic to eight points and pulled six clear of the third placed Ibrox club.

Defender Andy Considine netted goals either side of half-time with Niall McGinin also netting as the Reds secured a third straight Premiership victory.

Newcastle United keeper Freddie Woodman was pitched in for his Dons debut just days after a transfer deadline day loan move until the end of the season.

The U20 World Cup winner was selected ahead of Danny Rogers who dropped to the bench having been in goals for the wins over Ross County (4-2) and Kilmarnock (3-1).

There were two changes to the Dons side that defeated Ross County 4-2 in Dingwall on transfer deadline day with keeper Woodman making his debut and Anthony O’Connor coming in for Icelandic international defender Kari Arnason.

On loan Manchester City midfielder Chidiebere Nwakali returned to the squad having missed the trip to Dingwall through illness.

After a cagey opening Aberdeen created the first opportunity in the 10th minute through a slick move as Ryan Christie received a return pass from Kenny McLean.

It opened up the space to shoot but Christie’s 22 yard low drive was collected by keeper Gary Woods.

Hamilton were awarded a free kick at right hand edge of the penalty area in the 18th minute for a foul on Georgios Sarris by Scott McKenna.

Danny Redmond tried to curl an effort into the far corner but failed woefully, blasting high and wide.

Aberdeen grabbed the lead in the 24th minute when Niall McGinn delivered a free kick from the left deep into the penalty area.

The Hamilton defence failed to clear and Andrew CONSIDINE pounced to slam a right-footed half volley on the turn beyond Woods from 10 yards.

Moments later Woodman charged down a powerful Marios Ogkmpoe drive at the near post.

Considine then headed a corner kick over at the back post.

Again from a dead ball set piece a corner whipped in from Christie on the right found Adam Rooney but his eight yard flicked header flew inches wide in the 38th minute.

In the 50th minute McKenna received a pass in a identical position to the one where he netted a sensational 40 yard screamer in the 3-1 win over Kilmarnock.

The Red Army shouted ‘shoot’ and he obliged. His powerful effort took a deflection which sent it spinning towards goal.

The ball took a wicked bounce in front of keeper Wood who had to react lively to push it over the bar.

In the 54th minute McGinn’s corner was met by McKenna but his header flashed just wide.

Jinking towards the penalty area McGinn stepped past his marker in the 68th minute but his low shot took a deflection to send it spinning into the side netting.

From the resultant corner Graeme Shinnie shot inches over from 20 yards.

Aberdeen doubled their advantage in the 80th minute when a powerful shot from McLean was blocked by Woods.

The impressive McGINN capitalized by unleashing a lethal right footed drive beyond Woods from 15 yards.

Aberdeen made it 3-0 when CONSIDINE rose to meet a Christie cross from the right and headed home from 12 yards in the 87th minute.

ABERDEEN: Woodman, Logan, O’Connor, McKenna, Considine, Shinnie, McLean, Christie, Mackay-Steven, McGinn, Rooney.

Subs: Nwakali (for Mackay-Steven 63), Maynard (for Rooney 82), Ball (for Shinnie 86)

Subs not used: Rogers, Arnason, Reynolds,  Stewart.


HAMILTON: Woods, Skondras, McMann, Tomas, Redmond, Gogic, Lyon, Ferguson, Want, Sarris, Ogboe.

Subs: Cunningham (for Redmond 61), Rojano (for Ogboe70), Hughes (for Skondras 84)

Subs not used: Fulton, Scott, Miller, Tierney.


Referee: Euan Anderson