Aberdeen beat Dundee United 4-2 to reach the Scottish Cup quarter-finals

Aberdeen's Adam Rooney hit the opener in the Scottish Cup win over Dundee United. Picture by DARRELL BENNS

Aberdeen moved into the Scottish Cup quarter-finals with 4-2 defeat of Championship Dundee United at Pittodrie.

The Reds dominated the New Firm derby to extend their winning run to four games.

Adam Rooney, Gary Mackay-Steven and Kenny McLean netted in a first half where the Tannadice club scored through Sam Stanton..

Winger Mackay-Steven added a fourth in the second half before Paul McMullan pulled a goal back.


McInnes retained faith with the starting 11 that defeated Hamilton 3-0 at Pittodrie last weekend.

On loan Newcastle United keeper Freddie Woodman retained his starting spot ahead of Danny Rogers.

Aberdeen created the first opportunity in the fifth minute when an attempted clearance by Craig Slater from a Niall McGinn corner fell to Scott McKenna but the defender headed inches wide from 10 yards out.

The Reds were denied by a double save from keeper Harry Lewis in the ninth minute.

A poor pass by Slater was intercepted by Gary Mackay-Steven who hit a powerful 25 yard shot that Lewis blocked.

He spilled the ball and Adam Rooney shot low and Lewis recovered to block.

Aberdeen went ahead in the 20th minute when a cross from Kenny McLean looped high into the box and Gary Mackay-Steven pounced with a volley.

It bounced on the ground ahead of keeper Lewis who was deceived and Adam ROONEY headed home from one yard.

Aberdeen had a strong penalty claim waved away moments later by referee Willie Collum when Shinnie burst into the box and was bundled over by Mark Durnan.

It was 2-0 in the 27th minute when McGinn dispossessed Slater and fed a pass to MACKAY-STEVEN.

The winger raced upfield and drilled a low shot from a tight angle beyond Lewis.

United hit back in the 34th minute when poor play from Scott McKenna gifted possession Sam STANTON who was left one on one with keeper Freddie Woodman and converted.

Within a minute Aberdeen responded when Kenny McLEAN met a Ryan Christie cross 16 yards out and directed a superb header into the far corner.

Defender Andy Considine was booked soon after and will be suspended for the quarter-final clash.

Mackay-Steven unleashed a powerful 25 yard drive in the 39th minute that keeper Lewis tipped over the bar.

Aberdeen went 4-1 ahead in the 55th minute as MACKAY-STEVEN was set up by Ryan Christie and the winger raced in on goal and fired in a low right footed drive from an acute angle that deflected off keeper Lewis leg and into goal.

Dundee United pulled a goal back with a superb goal in the 70th minute when Billy King rolled a pass to substitute Paul McMULLAN who unleashed a fantastic curling effort beyond Freddie Woodman.

In the 85th minute Christie fired over the bar.

Then the Dons nearly conceded an own goal when the ball came off O’Connor but Woodman was alert to save.

Aberdeen: Woodman, Logan, O’Connor, McKenna, Considine, Shinnie, McLean, Christie, McGinn, Mackay-Steven, Rooney.

Subs: Ball (for Mackay-Steven 81), Maynard (for Rooney 89)

Subs not used: Rogers, Arnason, Reynolds, Nwakali, Stewart..

Dundee United: Lewis, Murdoch, Durnan, King, Stanton, Slater, Flood, Robson, Gillespie, Smith, Lyng.

Subs: McMullan (for Slater 46), McDonald (for Lyng 71),  Mikkelsen (for Smith  75).

Subs not used: Mehmet, Mikkelsen, Allardice, Martin, Mason.

Referee: Willie Collum