A SECOND man has died after catching Legionnaires’ disease in the outbreak in Edinburgh.
The man, who had significant pre-existing underlying health conditions, died in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.
NHS Lothian said that he was one of the confirmed cases in the outbreak, which began in the Scottish capital at the beginning of June.
The first man to die was named as Robert Air, 56, from the Seafield area of the capital, whose death was reported on June 5.
There are now 40 confirmed cases and 48 suspected cases.
The Health and Safety Executive and Edinburgh City Council continue to investigate the possible source of the outbreak in the south-west of the capital.
Health Secretary Nicola Sturgeon said: “My sincere condolences go to the family and friends of the patient who passed away in Edinburgh in a case linked to the outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease in the city. My thoughts are with them at this very difficult time.
“Despite this sad and tragic development, it remains the case that we believe the outbreak to have peaked.”
The Health and Safety Executive and Edinburgh City Council are continuing to make progress in their investigations into the possible source of the outbreak.
Earlier health chiefs said it appeared the worst of the outbreak was over.
On Monday a pharmaceuticals firm in the area where most of the cases originate was served with two improvement notices by the HSE.
The watchdog ordered thorough cleaning of one of Macfarlan Smith’s cooling towers and ordered provision of access for the same tower so it can be inspected and maintained.
Last week the watchdog served an improvement notice on North British Distillery Company in the same area. The firm was censured for failing to devise and implement a sustained, effective biocide control programme for one cooling tower on its site.