FRANKLY, I think it would be weird if I didn’t talk about the scorching temperatures that have bathed the UK this week.
We’ve had some topsy-turvy weather systems this year – a very mild winter, a toasty March and then a fairly chilly last six weeks.
But now. Now. The sun has got its hat on and it’s hip-hip-hip hurray! I hasten to add, that all the above terms are, of course, serious meteorological ones.
In addition to an interest in weather generally, I also have a fascination with how the weather affects us psychologically. There has been heaps of research – from the well-documented effects of SAD to an American study which examined how the market (as in the FTSE rather than the one I go to on a Sunday) rises when the weather is good.
Research or studies often have a habit of making you shake your head and say “Well, duh!”, however, those are the good ones. The ones that only confirm what we already knew.
So, yes, the sun makes us happy, or at least happier. But along with giving us a lift, it also seems to make everyone a little bit more naughty too.
Firstly, everyone seems much more inclined to take their clothes off. Modesty goes out the window (as well as T-shirts and respectable shorts). Although, in Scotland I think the mercury only has to hit about 14C for folk to consider a more naturist approach to clothing. I’m not judging, and I am guilty, just pointing it out.
So everyone’s showing more flesh, but this stripping off malarkey also seems to encourage people to talk more about getting their kit off too. And just so I’m not keeping anything under wraps here, yes, I’m talking about sex. Sorry mum.
From Miley Cyrus harping on about the magic she experiences in the bedroom (eurgh!) to the book topping the best-seller charts that has been dubbed “Mummy Porn” (50 Shades of Grey is a murky tale, full of lip-biting and “Oh mys”) . Everyone seems to be at it, or at least talking about it. But talking dirty also seems to have gone highbrow too.
This week, the philosopher Alain de Botton spoke out about the excess of debased porn (isn’t that the point?). He said that he wishes to make a new kind of porn. Really? I’m not sure I’m buying… Although don’t think I haven’t noticed that exchanging the last letter in his name to an ‘m’ would give him an excellent porn name!
So there we have it. Genuinely, I blame the sun for getting everyone all hot and bothered.
But I think I may need to go and do some more research…
Face it – Mark’s happy as Larry
WHAT a week for Facebook, from its flotation on the stock market to Mark Zuckerberg’s beautifully low-key nuptials the next day.
Mark and his missus got married in their garden – their garden! Love it.
What is $52 billion in the face of romance!
And finally, to its shares taking a tumble and the press jumping on the newsfeed and proclaiming it “fadebook”. Which really, as a moniker I think is rubbish.
And do we think Mark cares? Somehow, I think not. I imagine his status reads: ”Mark is: happy as freaking Larry!”
QB’s corner - 5 things I’m loving this week
1. AVOCADO: It’s good, it’s bad and yes, it is ugly. But it tastes like summer and I’m having it on everything: toast, salads, fingers ...
2. HEATWAVE: There’s a reason it’s called this – it makes everyone happy, smile and wave with joy. Either that or they’re too hot and are trying to cool off!
3. FANCY FLORALS: I’m not sure flowers ever go out of fashion (especially if they come delivered by a handsome man). Girls, wear flowers on everything – together, clashing and oh so bright.
4. THE RAID: I love action movies and this (knee) cracking new flick is a super-charged combo of two of my favourites, Hard Boiled and Die Hard.
5. CANNES: Only because we were hotter, sunnier and perhaps even more glamorous in Scotland this week (well I think you lot look just gorgeous)!